HG Header

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Impressions from the First Ever Hunt for Malcanthet

Impressions from the First Ever Hunt for Malcanthet.
I think it was a mixture of excitement and anticipation that made everything seem so clear and sharp during the hunt.

As we entered the Plane of Portals I could feel a tension in the air akin a held breath waiting to exhale.

From the first spawn, you could tell that something was different, though you could not quite put your finger on it.

For those of us who thought that we were there to hunt down a mistress of
the abyss it quickly became apparent that it was we who were the hunted. In this strange barren landscape, we were the outsides and the hosts at Malcanthet’s command came at us in huge waves, surging and Uncontrollable.
The party was composed of seasoned veterans; we worked as a fine tuned machine, each knowing their job and doing it in time with the swirls and eddies of combat.

Over the span of about an hour we made our way thought the different maps
of the plane. With Malcanthet’s minions probing our strengths and our weaknesses at every turn.

Outside the portal to Gaping Maw which leads to the planes ruled by Demogorgon, we thought she would make her stand. The sheer size of the spawn was unnerving to behold. But our killing machine honed through countless hours spent in the abyss went to work; the tanks keeping the huge spawn at bay while casters rained fire and destruction on Malcanthet’s host.

Then just as quickly as we saw her, she was gone, fleeing deeper into Gaping Maw and toward her ex-consort Demogorgon.

We boldly went though the portal hot on her heels. It was in the Screaming Jungle with Malcanthet’s minions mixing with Demogorgon’s, that we began to move more cautiously thus slowing our progress for a time.

Seeing our resolve, it became clear to Malcanthet that we would not relent and return home empty handed, Malcanthet had no choice but to lay her final trap for us.
As we entered the great square of Lemorux the capital of Demogornon’s Realm, a host was arrayed against us of such immense size that I could not even begin to get a sense if their numbers.

Having grown accustomed to victory the group waded into this sea of demons without hesitation. But the sheer press of numbers began to slowly push us back. Succubi, Incubi, Glabrizu, anchored by Balors and Marilliths began to push back the ten stalwarts who dared invade their plane and threaten one of their lords.

For a long time the battle teetered on a knife’s edge. But the enemy’s numbers took their toll and we were pushed all the way back to the entrance of the plaza. Our backs against the wall, we knew that it was now or never.

Maximus our weapon master planted himself in front of the spawn, and basically said to the entire host to here and not an inch further. He was backed up by Sora the ranger, Jaerilla our rogue, Vagrant our Paladin and Trevelyan our indestructible bard as they rallied around him and tried to form a wall that would give the casters room to work.

Wandaerris, one of the two sorcerers in the party began a never ending rain of power word kills on the host. But as quickly as one demon died. three or four would rush in to take the fallen demon’s place.

Chrysalis our druid bravely waded into the host attempting to nature’s balance as many of the demons as he could, only to be brought low by the crushing numbers of the enemy. Estrella our cleric was a blur as she ran thought the swirling chaos
to greater restore and resurrect downed party members.

Retribution our shifter was in beholder shape firing ray after ray at the never ending mob arrayed against us.

It was then, as four of the party were down and the host was starting its final assault on us; I saw her in the crowd. Malcanthet our goal was here and helping direct her minions from the fringes. I suspected that this was really her last attempt to destroy this party of hunters who thought they were a match for her and her minions.

Seeing no alternative, I knew that someone would have to begin to really bring the pain to this huge host, but this could only be done from an unassailable position.

Right behind me was a small alcove between two buildings. Quickly making my way there I used my transmutation epic to wall around myself. This would buy me time.

Setting Evards Black Tenticles, and cold clouds I got ready to take the host head on. There is a kind of zen a caster falls into at such times. Thunder claps flew from my fingers and began to concuss the spawn, I fired one after another cueing them as quickly as I could.

I was floating high above the host in my tiny world of destruction. I could see Max dueling Malcanthet right up against my wall so switched focus to right in front of the epic wall, and continued my shower of destruction upon her and those creatures lapping around the wall.

People were down and resurrecting each other as a final press of 20 or so elite monsters came crashing upon us. For me there was no pause just keep casting. It was then that I looked down and saw that I was down to 5 or 6 spells. My mind was racing, and I began to think that even this effort may not be enough against such overwhelming odds.

Just as I began reaching for a biojuvinator to restore some of my spells, I heard a cheer go up from the party, Malcanthet was down!!

Once again I just wanted to share a small taste of what the Special Events on Higher Ground are like.

www.http://bb.hgweb.org

No comments:

Post a Comment